The Chief Scientist of Québec Rémi Quirion and Canadian Commission for UNESCO Secretary General Sébastien Goupil have signed a declaration of intent supporting the 16 UNESCO Chairs associated with Québec universities and colleges1. Every year for three years, the Fonds de recherche du Québec will transfer $15,000 to each chair.
This initiative is intended to support cutting-edge research in social sciences and the humanities—more specifically, in education, culture and communications—as well as in the natural sciences, with an aim to finding solutions to society's pressing issues. The UNESCO Chairs have a unique role in Québec and Canada's research ecosystems, as well as internationally, fostering collaboration between the research community, universities, local communities and civil society.
"As Chief Scientist of Québec, I am delighted at the news of this agreement between the Fonds de recherche du Québec and the Canadian Commission for UNESCO. Invariably a promise of excellence, the UNESCO Chairs provide access to an invaluable network for Québec's research to shine across Canada and abroad, in addition to being an indisputable diplomatic asset."
Rémi Quirion, Chief Scientist of Québec
"This historic commitment to supporting the work and outreach of UNESCO chairs in Québec is without a doubt a recognition of the unique nature of the network within the research ecosystem not only in Québec and Canada but abroad as well. By supporting the Chairs, the Fonds de recherche du Québec are proving their commitment to the United Nations' sustainable development goals, which are at the heart of the UNESCO's priorities and those of its networks."
Sébastien Goupil, Secretary General, Canadian Commission for UNESCO
1. View the 16 Québec UNESCO Chairs
Director of Communications and Knowledge Mobilization
Fonds de recherche du Québec
Québec UNESCO Chairs
- UNESCO Chair in Communication and Technologies for Development, Université du Québec à Montréal (UQAM)
- UNESCO Chair in Studies of Philosophic Foundations of Justice and Democracy, Université du Québec à Montréal (UQAM)
- UNESCO Chair in Urban Landscape, Université du Québec à Montréal (UQAM)
- UNESCO Chair in Curriculum Development, Université du Québec à Montréal (UQAM)
- UNESCO Chair in Marine Systems Analysis, Université du Québec à Rimouski (UQAR)
- UNESCO Chair in Applied Research for Education in Prison, Collège d'enseignement général et professionnel (CEGEP) Marie-Victorin
- UNESCO Chair in Global Environmental Changes, Université du Québec à Montréal (UQAM)
- UNESCO Chair for Dialogues on Sustainability, McGill University
- UNESCO Chair on Materials and Technologies for Energy Conversion, Saving and Storage (MATECSS), Institut national de la recherche scientifique (INRS)
- UNESCO Chair on the Diversity of Cultural Expressions, Université Laval
- UNESCO Chair in Screening and Evaluation of Early Childhood Development, Université du Québec à Trois-Rivières (UQTR)
- UNESCO Chair on Democracy, Global Citizenship and Transformative Education, Université du Québec en Outaouais (UQO)
- UNESCO Chair in First Peoples' Cultural Transmission through Increased Well-Being and Empowerment, Université du Québec à Chicoutimi (UQAC)
- UNESCO Chair in the Prevention of Radicalization and Violent Extremism, Université de Sherbrooke, UQAM, Concordia University
- UNESCO Chair on Global Smart Disruptive Learning, TÉLUQ
- UNESCO Chair for the conception and construction of sustainable and solidarity-based schools, Université Laval and Laurentian University